Monday, July 23, 2012

Doing my Best

I knew going into this that it would be time-consuming. I don't think I truly understood, though.

It's easy to quantify. You look at the training schedules and predict with a fair amount of accuracy how much time a week you'll spend running, stretching, and rolling out the achy parts with a foam roller. You know you'll spend time, most likely after your weekly long run, sitting in an ice bath, reminding yourself through chattering teeth, that this is all worth it. (ice baths are a post for another day. Coles Notes: They suck; They work).

But I don't think you can really prepare yourself for it qualitatively. How suddenly, the simple decision to step up from training for and running half marathons to training for and running a marathon, changes everything.

I used to schedule my runs around my life. Now, I schedule my life around my runs. If, as Denise and I have chosen to do, you decide to raise money for charity, then more time is spent on fundraisers, seeking sponsorship, calling family and friends and asking for support. I wouldn't say that my family is suffering because of it. They are some of my biggest supporters. But the mom guilt! Oooof!

I keep wondering if this was the best time for me to decide to do this. I could have waited until the kids were older. I'm only 38, I hope I've got many more years of running in me! But, what if I don't? It's possible that one day my body will say "Look lady. I've had enough. I've done enough".

So of course I'm doing it now. Every fibre of my being is telling me that I HAVE to. I learned a long time ago that when all signs point to GO, then that's what you must do.

Don't get me wrong...I am loving, cherishing and embracing every moment of this journey. I know I am lucky to be able to do this.

I'm hoping that the time I'm spending away from these two adorable boys, is made up for with the lessons I hope they learn from watching me set goals, and work hard to achieve them.

From watching me raise money for a deserving charity.

From seeing that life isn't about BEING the best, it's about DOING your best.

So, for now, I will just go on doing my best. I know that when I cross the finish line on September 23rd, that I will be proud. I sure hope the kids will be too.


No comments:

Post a Comment